Under graduate courses offered in different faculties
|Course name||Term||Credit||Offering faculty|
|AER 165 Fundamentals of Agriculture Extension and Rural Development||1st year, Winter||3.0+1.5||Faculty of Agriculture|
|AER 265 Rural Sociology and Educational Psychology||2nd year, Winter||3.0+1.5||Faculty of Agriculture|
|AER 301 Management of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development||3rd year, Summer||3.0+1.5||Faculty of Agriculture|
|AER 425 Communication and technology Transfer||4th year, Autumn||3.0+1.5||Faculty of Agriculture|
|AER 361 Rural Sociology||3rd Year, Winter||3.0||Faculty of Fisheries|
|AER 431 Fisheries Extension Education||4th Year, Autumn||3.0+1.5||Faculty of Fisheries|
|AER 461 Veterinary Extension Education||4th Year, Winter||3.0+1.5||Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science|
|AER 311 Introductory Extension Education||3rd year, Summer||3.0+1.5||Faculty of Economics and Rural Development
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
The Department offers both Undergraduate (BS) and Graduate (MS & Ph.D) programs. Research facilities are available for fields studies in extension and rural education using the farmer’s situation as a social laboratory. Major research thrusts are identification of constraints to agro rural development;
Development of alternative extension methods, strategies and approaches; and extension teaching methods 7 techniques; adoption and diffusion of new agricultural innovations and their socio-cultural barriers and development of feedback mechanism on farmers reactions on new technologies.
Course Title : Fundamentals of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
Course Code : AER 165
Course Credit : 03+1.5
- Agricultural Extension: Concept and evolution of agricultural extension, major thrust of extension activities in different decades, scope and objectives of agricultural extension; principles and philosophies of agricultural extension; history and development of agricultural extension work in Bangladesh and other countries; integrated functions of agricultural educations, research and extension services.
- Education and Learning; Definition and meaning of education; objectives of education; types of education; formal, non-formal, informal education, adult education; definition of learning; types of learning, teaching learning process; principles, laws and theories of learning; criteria for effective learning.
- Motivation: Concept of motivation; motivation cycle; role of motivation in job performance; motivation of the village people and extension workers; theories of motivation- concept and meaning if need, types of need, Maslow’s need theory and its implication in extension work.
- Rural Development: Concept of rural development; scope of rural development; history of rural development in Bangladesh; rural problems, role of BARD, RDA and BRDB in rural development; NGO interventions for rural development; Rural poverty; poverty trap; causes and solution role of GOs and NGOs in rural poverty mitigation; involvement of rural development activities of Bangladesh. Rural development tourism, biases if outsiders for contacting rural people; sustainable and participatory rural development, sustainable livelihood and asset pentagon.
Practical: (Credits- 1.5)
- Understanding basic facts of Bangladesh agriculture, population, education, administration, exports and import of agricultural products.
- Introduction to different organizations related to agricultural development and their main objectives and activities-DAE, DLS, DOF, BADC, national and international NGOs with special emphasis on BRAC, TMSS and ACI and other related organizations.
- Introduction to important development organizations & institutions with their main objectives and activities: BRDB, BARD and RDA.
- Visit to GOs (BRDB/BARD/RDA) and NGOs (BRAC, ACI and other related organizations).
Lecture and its practice in the laboratory and in the farmer’s situation.
Preparation and use of some teaching aids; poster, flashcards, OHP and multimedia
Course Title: Rural Sociology and Education Psychology
Course Code: AER 265
Course Credit: 03+1.5
- Rural Sociology: Definition, meaning nature, scope, importance, limitations and elements of rural sociology; origin and development of rural sociology; society; characteristics of rural society; rural-urban differences; culture, norms, values and beliefs, rural sociology and other social science. anthropology; concept and types.
- Social Institutions: Family: concept and meaning, types, functions, importance, group, concept and meaning, types, characteristics, preconditions of group formation, comparison of different types of group; religion marriage: divorce and separation; social mobility, community and its characteristics; migration: causes & consequences.
- Psychology: Concept of psychology; education and educational psychology; methods of obtaining information in psychology; scope of psychology; educational psychology as applied to extension education; objectives and contribution of psychology; aims of education psychology.
- Biological Basic of Human Behavior: Concept and meaning of socialization, socialization process; social stratification; personality, factors affecting personality development; frustration-concept and meaning. causes of farmer’s frustration, adjustment to frustration, social stratification.
- Identification of social institutions
- Introduction to the methods of data collection
- PRA techniques: social/ physical mapping wealth ranking, trend analysis, seasonal diagram etc.
- Conduction of social survey and presentation of its report
- Visit to one ethnic group of minority community and preparation of report on their socio-economic status
Course Title : Management of Agricultural Extension Organizations
Course Code: AER 301
Course Credit: 03+1.5
Theory : (Credits-3.0)
- Extension Organization : Concept and meaning of organization, basic elements of an organization, purposes of organization, principles of organization, DAE- its mission, role of DAE, organization structure of DAE, new agricultural extension policy (NAEP), duties and responsibility of different categories of personnel in DAE, problems of extension work on Bangladesh different approaches and models if agricultural extension work.
- Management, Administration and Supervision: Concept of management, objections of management functions , management by objectives (MBO), Management information system (MIS), concept of administration, elements of administration, characteristics of administration, principles for increasing efficiency in extension administration, concept and principles of supervision, coordination, decision making process.
- Extension Program planning and Development: Meaning and definition of program planning, importance and principals of program planning; procedure of extension program planning; characteristics of a good program; people’s participation in extension program planning; reasons for failure of an extension program.
- Group Dynamics and Leadership: Concept meaning and definition of group dynamics; external and internal forces of group dynamics; types of leadership with their salient features; importance of leadership in extension work; qualities of a good leader; task and relationship oriented leadership, selection, training and recognition of local leaders.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Meaning and definition of monitoring and evaluation; importance and objectives of program evaluation; types of evaluation; principles and procedures of extension program evaluation, difference between monitoring and evaluation, impact evaluation.
- Different organization related to agricultural development in Bangladesh.
- Preparation of plan of work and calendar of work.
- Procedure for project development
- Preparation and practicing of a training program
- Planning of an agricultural extension program: identification of problem, analysis of stakeholder, analysis of objectives and alternative and development of logical framework (log-frame) on some project.
- Office management procedures: record keeping noting/filing, methods of official correspondence.
Course Title: Communication and Technology Transfer
Course Code: AER 425
Course Credit: 03+ 1.5
- Extension Communication: Concept of communication and its problems. scope, functions and communication; models of communication; types of communication; elements of communication process; barriers and noise in communication feedback of communication, feedback of communication; communication pattern networking.
- Extension Teaching Methods; Meaning of extension teaching methods; steps in teaching; planning of extension teaching; classification of extension teaching methods; factors to be considers in selecting extension teaching methods; advantages and limitation of different extension teaching methods; selection and combination of extension teaching methods for greater effectiveness.
- Extension Teaching Aids; Meaning of extension teaching aids; classification of extension teaching aids; audio-aids, visual-aids; benefits and choice of extension teaching aids; advantage and limitation of different extension aids; criteria for selection and evaluation of extension teaching aids.
- Transfer of technologies: Meaning and definition of technology; types of innovation, adoption and diffusion of agricultural technologies; adoption and diffusion process, innovation- decision process, types of innovation, attributes of an innovation; innovativeness and adopter categories; diffusion curve, barriers to adoption and diffusion of innovation; factors affecting the transfer of agricultural technologies in Bangladesh.
- Conduction of seminar, symposium, workshop and conference.
- Preparation of printed materials: folder, leaflet, bulletin, handout etc.
- Preparation of radio talks and its practice
- Data collection instruments preparation of interview schedule and procedure of interviewing
- Case study and preparation of its report.
- Preparation and preparation of survey report
- Identification of important technologies in the field of agricultural.
- Use of ICT in agricultural related activities
- Extension fields trip and preparation of its report.
The Laboratory is provided with the following equipments:
- Multimedia Projector
- DVD player
- Digital video camera