Dr. Md. Mahbubur Rahman
Department of Biotechnology
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU), Gazipur.
Md. Mahbubur Rahman is a Professor of the Department of Biotechnology of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU), Gazipur. He obtained B Sc Fisheries (Hon) and MS in Aquaculture from Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), securing First Class in both the cases. He went to Hokkaido University, Japan with Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbusho), where he obtained his Ph D in Marine Biosciences in the year 2004 under the supervision of Professor Dr. Kenichi Tajima in the Laboratory of Microbiology of the Graduate School of Fisheries Sciences. His Ph D thesis was involved in molecular identification and pathogenicity of a new species of bacteria Aeromonas sp. T8 group. He started his job career in July 1998 in Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Mymensingh as a Scientific Officer. He joined in The Department of Biotechnology of Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet in 2004 as a Lecturer and became an Assistant and Associate Professor in 2007 and 2011, respectively. He joined in BSMRAU in the Department of Biotechnology in February 2012 as an Associate Professor and became a Professor in December 2016. He served as Head of the Department of Biotechnology of BSMRAU for two years and Head of the Department of Genetics and Fish Breeding of BSMRAU for one year. He published more than 30 research papers in national and international peer-reviewed journals, one Text Book and several popular articles. Most of his fundamental research contributions have been published in world-leading international journals and reviews such as Scientific Reports, BMC Biology, Fish Pathology and so on. He presented research findings in many national and international conferences/ symposia. He supervised a good number of MS and actively involved in many professional research networks/organizations at home and abroad. Over the years, he has established research collaborations with many scientists in Japan, Malaysia, UK, and USA. His major research interests are molecular diagnosis of fish diseases, virulence factors involved in fish diseases, fish probiotics, bio-control of fish diseases, marine bioprospecting, molecular markers associated with stress tolerance in crops etc.
- Associate Professor (From 1 February, 2012 to 30 November, 2016)Department of Biotechnology Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Gazipur -1706.
- Associate Professor (From 1 March, 2011 to 31 January, 2012) Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology School of Life Sciences, Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet.
- Assistant Professor (From 14 September, 2007 to 28 February, 2011) Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology School of Life Sciences, Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet.
- Lecturer (From 01 December 2004 to 13 September 2007) Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet.
- Scientific Officer (From June 1998 to September 2000) Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Mymensingh, Bangladesh Research Field: Diseases of Fresh Water Fishes, Aquaculture and Farming System Research.